Australian online shopping reached an all-time high in 2020, with online purchases growing 57% year-on-year. An average of 1 million additional households shopped online every month compared to 2019 – reaching $50.46 billion total spend at the online checkout.
Online share of retail spend hit 16.3% (excluding cafes, restaurants and takeaway food), outperforming the pre-pandemic predictions of 12-13%.
• Metro purchases up 60%.
• Regional purchases up 50.7%.
• On average, one million additional households shopped online each month in 2020, compared to 2019.
• 1.36 million Aussies shopped online for the first time in 2020.
• Due to lockdowns and social distancing, people had little choice but to do more online. Behaviours changed, from how people shop for everyday goods, to how they pay for them.
• April saw the first significant spike in online growth. Food & liquor items and home & garden purchases more than doubled compared to 2019, and were the only categories which saw triple digit growth twice in 2020.
Why is this happening?
• The increased use of smartphones and mobile shopping.
• Covid lockdowns.
• Social media and social commerce.
• Transformative technology.
• Growth in online marketplaces.
• The way shopping behaviours have changed from generation to generation — Baby Boomers to Millennials to Gen Z.
What are we buying?
• Storage containers
• Kitchen towels
• Bike saddles
• Hand held device accessories
• Toy kitchens and play food
• Motor vehicle carpet and upholstery
• Bookcases and standing shelves
• Temporary tatoos
• Needle craft patterns
• Hair styling tools and accessories
How are we getting our purchases delivered?
One ingredient required in all the billions of dollars in purchases is moving boxes. Getting a product from point A to point B requires the use of moving boxes. Boxes are important to keep the purchase safe.
Can I cash in on this period?
The Pandemic has created a very difficult period economically and many Industries, through no fault of their own have been negatively affected and in some cases closed. e-Commerce is one way to start a new career. Start an online shop and create the space for change in your life.
• Start your own clothing line
• Launch a drop shipping store
• Sell your art online
• Become a freelance writer, designer, or developer
• Teach an online course
• Flip your thrift store finds
• Publish your own book
• Start a blog
• Become a virtual assistant
• Curate subscription boxes
• Develop a niche product
• Create handmade goods
Once sold, you will need a box to ship it. If you are buying or selling, in Australia or the world moving boxes make the world go round! Moving boxes Sydney can be found and purchased at Kennards Self Storage. Export quality boxes like the Medium Heavy Duty can be used for products that need to be shipped interstate or overseas. A 20% discount applies for any purchase over 10 boxes or more, and yes they can be purchased online!!!
The great thing about Kennards Self Storage is that we also have real shops and real people that can assist with information regarding boxes. This is where you can also find cheap moving boxes. 2nd hand boxes is our way to lessen the impact on the environment. Colin at Fyshwick or Phil at Rydalmere are just two examples of experts who offer advice and first-rate customer service.
|Kennards Self Storage Fyshwick
64-70 Gladstone St
02 6239 3584
|Kennards Self Storage Rydalmere
257 Victoria Road
02 9638 0311