The idea of living a simple life with less stuff sounds attractive to many. We all live busy lives and have busy minds. The Covid 19 era has taught us that having space at home and work is important. Creating ‘space for change’ is about less stress, less work and being more efficient. Learning how to declutter your home and (and as a result, decluttering your life) doesn’t need to be painful.
There are many benefits to having fewer possessions where you live and work:
Less to clean. Having to clean around things you have zero emotional attachment to makes cleaning the house much more stressful.
Less to organize. Finding things suddenly become easier. You can see what you have Less stress. Looking around at the clutter is stressful. Organised space promotes creativity Free Time. Less clutter = Less time cleaning
More energy for your greatest passions. A clean home means you can focus your energy on the things you enjoy instead of worrying about “Keeping up with the Joneses.” This will ultimately make you happier.
10 Creative Decluttering Tips
- Start with five minutes at a time. If you’re new to decluttering, you can slowly build momentum with just five minutes a day.
- Donate clothes you never wear. To identify them, simply hang all your clothes with hangers in the reverse direction. After wearing an item, face the hanger in the correct direction. Discard the clothes you never touched after a few months.
- Create a decluttering checklist. It’s a lot easier to declutter when you have a visual representation of where you need to get started.
- Take the 12-12-12 challenge. Locate 12 items to throw away, 12 to donate, and 12 to be put into Storage
- View your home as a first-time visitor. It’s easy to ‘forget’ what your home looks like to a new visitor. Enter your home as if you’re visiting the home of a friend. Write down your first impression on how clean and organized the home is and make changes.
- Take before and after photos of a small area. Choose one part of your home, like your kitchen counter, and take a photo of a small area. Quickly clean off the items in the photo and take an after photo. Once you see how your home could look, it becomes easier to start decluttering more of your home.
- Get help from a friend. Have a friend or family member go through your home and suggest a handful of big items to throw away or give to someone else. If you defend the item and want to keep it, your friend has to agree with your reason. If they don’t agree, it’s time to get rid of it.
- Use the Four-Box Method. Get four boxes for each space and label them: trash, give away, keep, or re-locate. Enter any room in your home and place each item into one of the following boxes. Don’t skip a single item, no matter how insignificant you may think it is. This may take days, weeks, or months, but it will help you see how many items you really own and you’ll know exactly what to do with each item.
- Use Storage. For items that you need access to but don’t need at home or work all the time. Think, camping equipment, Canoes, bikes or furniture you may need in the future.
- Get the team involved. Get everyone in the household involved. Many hands make light work.
No matter which decluttering tip you choose to get started – whether it be one of these ten or one of countless others – the goal is to take your first step in decluttering your life. The first step should be to contact Kennards Storage. The quickest way to create the ‘space for change’ is to put items into self storage. You can have the finished product of a de-cluttered space at home or work and go through the process of de-cluttering in the Storage space.
Setting this up is as easy as calling Matthew or Belinda at Kennards Self Storage Wollongong
. They are greatly experienced with identifying the correct space for your storage needs. They can help with storage unit prices so you will know up front storage unit costs. This is also where to get moving boxes. We sell new and used storage boxes. Cheap second-hand moving boxes is away to save a little on the cost.
Mathew and Belinda can be reached on 02 4227 4734 and are conveniently located at 98 – 104 Gipps St Wollongong. Once you have spoken to them or visited them you can take a storage space that suits your needs. You will have a clean secure space that has easy access where you will not be locked into a lease. If you are pressed for time the whole process can be completed online at anytime of the night or day. Jump on www.kss.com.au
and you will be able to see self Storage prices, then reserve or rent a space.
Kennards Self Storage Wollongong, creating the ‘Space for Change’.